Sunday, August 2, 2015

An Open Letter

We know they say never to go to bed angry. I wonder what "they" say about blogging angry?

I don't necessarily agree with these people. So here I am.

Anyone who knows Avery knows how big of a handful she can be. Some people like to call it "free-spirited". It'll be a great quality to carry as an adult. For now? I call it testing my patience. I'm her Mother, I know how "free spirited" my little toddler-tornado can be. However- that doesn't make it any easier or less frustrating when complete strangers comment or act completely annoyed by her.

Now, onto the actual point of this post. We have all been there right? When a complete stranger comments on someone else's kid, or parenting, or anything along those lines. I try my best to not let it get to me, but sometimes it's easier said than done. So, here is an open letter to a stranger who got to me.


  Dear store employee,

 I am sure you have no children, based on your response to mine. Let me start off by telling you: my daughter spent the day with her Great Grandma before coming shopping. Some day, if and when you have children, you will understand what that means. Lots of junk food, lots of spoiling and more then likely no nap. You'd be surprised to hear- that regardless of her sugar high sleep deprived behavior, you caught her on a good day. Your store was the last store on our hour and a half shopping endeavor. I know you probably think I should just wait to shop when I can go without her, but again, someday you will understand how difficult that sort of luxury is. Which is why I rarely shop outside of Target runs. 

Your store had good music playing, who can resist some good music? Avery certainly can't. I, for one, happen to think her dancing is cute. Sorry if the bouncing around bothers you, but she is two. I asked her multiple times to please stop opening and shutting the drawers that had clothes in them. Of course she contented. I mean, come on, drawers that are at her eye level are just asking to be repeatedly opened and shut. I let her continue, it was keeping her entertained. The first time you came over, I noticed the familiar look. You looked at my daughter, then up at me, then back to Avery, just to ask me if there was something you could help me find. I didn't need your help, you knew I didn't, but I got the point. You were annoyed with the opening and shutting. So, I pulled her away from the drawers. Which of course ticked her off. So really, if you had children, you would've expected the whining that followed. You asked me again, if I needed help. Obviously you wanted me to get the heck out of the store, with my toddler in tow.

Avery asked me to play hide and seek ten times. Just because I said no doesn't mean thats going to stop her from standing in between the sweat pants that were hanging on a rack- poking her head out at me. I thought the "I seee youu mommmyy" was kind of cute. You clearly didn't. Since the next thing you said to me- you said from across the store, with one arm crossed, the other pointing in our direction. I'm sure you don't remember your word choice, but I do. Since I've thought about it multiple times. "umm excuse me.. can your daughter not do that?!". Without even giving me a chance to respond you went back to snickering with your fellow employee. 

You are probably my age, so I am sure you look at me and my toddler that you think is out of control and wonder why in the world I even have a kid. If I was 21 living the life of a 21 year old without a kid, I'd probably think the same thing. But, since I am the one with the kid- I know you just don't understand. Or, how much you can possibly love such a little person, that someone else obviously just finds annoying.

I know you do not understand, just yet. So when you do have children: the first time a complete stranger makes you feel the way you made me feel, I hope you think back to that day, and the way you rolled your eyes at my baby girl, and the judgmental looks you shot my way before whispering to your coworker. I'm sorry to tell you, it will inevitably happen. It happens to every parent at some  point in time. Sometimes more often then we would like. I do not want you, or expect you to feel bad. I just want you to remember, so then you will truly understand. 

Sincerely, 
The mom of the toddler. 


Moms everywhere, hang in there. We love our free spirited children, that's all that matters. 


2 comments:

  1. Very well said! This is definitely something all parents go through. Part of the charm of toddlers is their free spirit and it's not that lady's job to try to tone that down. One day I'm sure she'll know what it's like too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Spot on! People should be more understanding of someone else's situation rather than judging them!

    www.artadorned.com

    ReplyDelete