Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Being a young mom

This post is going to take a little bit of a turn from my other posts. But hey, it's real life stuff and it's my life and I'm choosing to share. So here it goes. 

I am not a fan of stereotypes or labeling. But a big part of me is being a mom, duh. And it's no secret that I am a young mom.I think being a new mom takes adjustment. Whether you are 20, 30 or 40. Becoming a mom just 12 days shy of my 19th birthday meant I needed to kick my butt into gear. 
I am a full time college student (and all the fun that comes with that). Working nights. Spending every day being the best mom I can be, and struggling with everything that most new moms struggle with, regardless of age. Then making sure to keep time for my relationship, that not only suffers from the things "young couples" struggle with but also the challenges of new parents.  
Garrett and I took a surprise turn onto a path we hadn't planned on taking. But we are embracing it. We made a promise to each other on day one that we are a team. When it comes to our relationship, and when it comes to Avery we are and always will be a team.

I'm not here to say being a young mom is fun and easy and that I think any girl/woman should plan to bring a child into this world before she is where she wants to be in life. I am here to say there are young moms out there. I know what it's like to be a young mom, and the glares, whispers or even the things that are said or assumed about "young moms". I strongly believe if "it takes a village to raise a child" then it also takes a village to support a mother. And I can personally say, from experience that when it comes to being a young mom, having support from family, friends or even a community makes all the difference. 








2 comments:

  1. I think our society's criticism of young moms is just another way we tear moms down instead of building them up, another example of how we tear moms apart instead of uniting them together. We bicker over breastfeeding versus bottle feeding. We disagree over different types of diapers. And we judge based on factors like age and income. In the end, I believe most moms are just doing their best to love and care for their little ones. Isn't that all that truly matters?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally agree! As long as the babies are happy, healthy & taken care, the rest is just a matter of opinion really.
      Thanks for the input :)

      Delete